They pile on the common room couch
when Brady Bunch comes on
every day
before the 5:30 dinner.
So many wear fuzzy slippers
and take turns braiding hair.
No one does their homework
but they bring their books anyway.
They're singing with the TV
as you enter the room.
We know the song by heart, they scream.
You stand and nod and watch.
They laugh and agree
with every word,
every family truth
the song sings.
But go silent when the show begins
and couldn’t stare any harder
at the big, grimy tube
with the vase of plastic flowers on top.
At the commercials they talk and talk
about each character
just like
they were real family.
They’re better than my family,
one girls says.
I’m gonna have a big family – only boys.
the girl next to her shouts.
I don’t want to have kids,
another girl admits.
I stayed at a girls' boarding school in Virginia and witnessed the girls gathering every afternoon, before dinner, to watch Brady Bunch. It was sweet, and funny, and sad.
ReplyDelete