Wednesday, December 8, 2010

signs

my lips went numb last night.

i thought about disease
and the way i would go from this body.

could it be a sign of demise or
too much pepper in the soup?

i’m tired of trying to decipher
piddling appearances
as if they were oracles from a Greek temple.

could it be a sign of too much something
or not of anything?

i think a lot about my death since my mother died.

she kept to herself the inner gurglings
of the aneurysm that tore her apart.

was it a sign that I was not caring enough
of her fate not to ask?

i can’t say anything that means much.

my mother died. i will die.
and tomorrow the headline will be about politics
or a local house fire or whatever
makes the news.

3 comments:

  1. Jan, this poem is tremendous. Seriously. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jan!

    Haven't really been following this blog too closely but I want you to know that I have read quite a bit and I really love the following poems:

    Signs--the one I'm commenting on. Really great.

    No One Left To Tell

    Sister-Mine

    What's Right with Today (acreage in palm visual is brilliant)

    Truth/Lies Bio (reminded me of something Mark would come up with...all his story-telling and such)

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys for your reading this blog. I hear your words clapping in my mind! Such a nice thing to read on a morning that looks like it wants to go back to bed... Drizzle.

    ReplyDelete