Monday, May 10, 2010

Truths/Lies Bio

Once thought that I could play an instrument by staring at it. The rented flute was returned after a month.

I excel at math and all things pyrotechnic which, of course, makes perfect sense.

Stole crayons from my kindergarten class. Got caught but no regrets.

When snow falls, I call in sick, grab my skis and find the nearest slope.

I was born on the 28th of July but it was before dawn so I don’t know if it was sunny that day.

If I could afford a Harley Davidson I’d trade in my two-year-old Suzuki ASAP.

Because monkeys exhibit a strange intelligence, I avoid their cages at the zoo.

Spent summer vacations at my aunt’s lake house in Groton; mostly water skiing.

Tomorrow is the best day I could imagine except for today.

Worked one summer as a receptionist for the Federal Reserve in downtown Boston.

My father was born in Bermuda and moved to Nassau to work as a hotel escort.

Besides Machu Picchu, my favorite exotic place visited was downtown Pawtucket.

I still remember reading Plato’s Dialogues in a second floor carrel of the college library.

The smallest fraction is too big for me to comprehend.

Occasionally regret that I wasn't a high school cheerleader – but I didn’t looked good in maroon and couldn't do cartwheels.

While hitchhiking in Germany, my friend and I were picked up by American soldiers. Pretending to be locals, we only spoke German to them.

Growing up just outside of Boston, our family had a couple of horses. We also took in a few boarders. It was a lot of work.

As a kid I would train ants to swim with a bucket, stick, and lots of spare time. Few passed the test.

Helped my husband run for office about three years ago; it was exhilarating. He didn’t win but we enjoyed the campaign. Handshaking is a contact sport.

The most beautiful sight I’ve ever seen is the Keukenhof tulip display in the Netherlands.

‘Gadzooks’ is my favorite expression but only when I’ve enjoyed a Cosmo or two.

Spent eleven years commuting on a train and doing New York Times crossword puzzles. Only finished ones issued Mondays and Tuesdays.

If this poem was close to 500 words I’d stop; but it’s not so I’ll have to continue.

Jumped off the roof of our three-decker into the four foot deep swimming pool.

Once heard someone commenting at a funeral that the deceased loved Bugles – a corn waffle snack. You seldom experience such heartfelt testimony.

While riding in the backseat of the car, my sister fell out and trailed along by holding onto the floorboards.

Tomorrow is the best day I could imagine except for today.

These last words come with the greatest reluctance but none too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment